Maori Statutory Board given arse card by High Court

 

Good news, the Maori Statutory Board has been told to sling their hook by the High Court.

A bid to protect Auckland’s Maori cultural sites has been thrown out in the High Court due to a lack of evidence as to their importance.

The Independent Maori Statutory Board appealed a decision by Auckland Council to remove provisions relating to sites of value for mana whenua from the Unitary Plan.

However, in a ruling released to the public on Tuesday, Justice Edwin Wylie rejected the appeal, saying there wasn’t enough evidence of the sites’ significance.

Complete mumbo-jumbo in other words.

The board, comprising seven mana whenua group representatives and two mataawaka representatives, sought to incorporate sites of value to mana whenua in an overlay in the unitary plan.

In September 2012, a working draft of the proposed unitary plan was released to iwi authorities, which proposed two levels of protection for sites and places of Maori cultural heritage.

Included in the draft was a schedule detailing 61 sites and places of significance to Maori, and a cultural heritage layer which would cover about 2231 public and private sites.

That was whittled down from about 9000 different sites through consultation with public and mana whenua groups in September 2013.

The Auckland Unitary Plan Independent Hearings Panel (IHP) recommended Auckland Council delete a number of provisions affecting Maori from the proposed unitary plan, including the schedule of sites of value to mana whenua which was to be included in the district and regional plan section, until evidence of their significance had been established.

Justice Wylie found that of the 2213 sites proposed, only 140 had specific submissions and evidence provided from mana whenua, and only 16 were supported by detailed evidence at the hearing.

He said, having heard evidence from a large number of parties both for and against the overlay of sites, the panel was entitled to delete the overlay of sites from the proposed plan.

Without evidence of mana whenua values to support all sites, the provisions lacked sufficient evidence overall, Justice Wylie ruled.

Knock me down with a feather, Justice Wylie got one right for once.

Reblogged from: Whale Oil

Save

15 thoughts on “Maori Statutory Board given arse card by High Court

  1. Dare we hope the powers that be are showing a tiny bit of evidence they are regaining some basic common sense.

  2. Good news indeed but just announced is that radical Maori make progress to get increased influence on the RMA where National gives way to the Maori party instead of using Winston to get the reform of the RMA through. As usual National MPs dive for cover. I know my National MP just looks extremely uncomfortable and wants to change the subject whenever Maori privilege is raised.

  3. So does our MP Alastair Scott
    Looks at the ground and kicks the stones whenever you mention the National Government separatist racist agenda

  4. Then it’s important to keep raising it Roger, and demand a response. Tell him you will not vote for him if this nonsense continues. We all have to put pressure on these idiots and let them know what the real people think.

  5. Tell your MP’s that you are putting the word around why you are getting people not to vote for them and tell them why

  6. Great news, at last we might see a light at the end of a very long tunnel. I think we need to name and shame these politicians that are mentioned above, if they start seeing their names being put out there they might just have to re-think their positions.

  7. Here’s the reply from our local MP Andrew Bayley (National, Hunua). I asked him to do something about getting the Littlewood Treaty included in the exhibition in WLG “He Tohu – A Declaration”. He initially replied that the document won’t be included but is available for all to view if they want. My reply was that if people don’t know of its existence, how are they going to know to ask to view it? He didn’t reply. So I emailed again and asked him to reply, and this is what he sent:

    “Thanks for your email. I don’t want to get into a continued email exchange over this issue. The document is available for people to view it but it is not my role as an MP to seek to include it in the exhibition. Not everyone shares your view of its significance and I have personally spoken to the Minister about this issue.”
    To which I have asked him to call me to discuss further, and again pointed out that if people aren’t aware of its existence, how are they going to know if it is signicant or not. Arrogant so and so …

    I’m now waiting to see if he bothers to pick up the phone to call me so we don’t have to keep exchanging emails.
    Needless to say, I’m not holding my breath!

    Yep, not getting my vote and will be telling others of his “I don’t give a rats…” attitude as well.

  8. Pleasure to name our MP -Scott Simpson the MP for Coromandel -all he will say is that he believes the historic claims should be settled. Otherwise his knowledge of the subject is just about zilch and he just dodges the subject in spite of all my efforts to get him to debate the issue. Its obvious that National MPs have be told to stay quiet on the issue.

  9. Simon Bridges admitted on Holmes a few years ago, when asked without warning, if maori were special treasures, that yes they were. Beware of Bridges. He prefers to waffle on about his childhood memories of picnics under pohutukawa trees, but was taken by surprise with that question.

  10. Simon Bridges was a prominent member of the cross-party ‘Maori caucus’ who a couple of years ago were all in full support of the Maori grab for the seabed and foreshore. So I agree he is a danger. I would love to be in the middle of the National party caucus and just see how some who must have serious doubts are being kept servile – useless bastards!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: