Nearly three-quarters of the people who responded to the web poll question about giving Poverty Bay a dual name voted against such a move. Comments below.
Turanganui a Kiwa / Poverty Bay?
No – 72% (stick with Poverty Bay alone)
Yes – 25%
Once again, the racists in council get reprimanded by public opinion.
Will they listen? Maybe.
Will they learn? Probably not.
The question: “Do you support moving to a dual name for Gisborne’s coastal bay to Turanganui a Kiwa/Poverty Bay?”
Gisborne paper item.
Some selected comments:
- A referendum first please councillors!
- Unconstitutional GDC stuff-up again.
- Astonishing that the Mayor has so blatantly side-stepped fair consultation. Unless Gisborne speaks up, it’s a done deal. He represents a group hell-bent on relegating Cook to the back pages of Gisborne history.
- No yet another dumb idea from our Mayor
- How about changing the name of our Mayor for someone new!
- Don’t agree. Spend money on roading instead.
- Leave the names the same. The world knows us as Gisborne in Poverty Bay.
- just spend the effort and money on things that matter…
- No wot a total waste of time and money for no gain.
- Why complicate things? Its a waste of time and money.
- How about spending money on water, sewerage etc before…
- There are more urgent needs for this district than a name change. That will not do anything towards getting basics such as roads, waste water, etc etc done. The council needs to get its priorities in order.
- Dual name? You mean a first step to losing Poverty Bay altogether, along with Cook, Endeavour and Young Nicks Head, all steadily gouged out of the public eye.
Next question perhaps? Do you support a dual name for the Mayor?
His Wastrel the Mayor / His Worship the Mayor